Search SJML Archives! (Powered by Google)

Previous Message: Re: Psi in Space
Next Message: Re: Sphere layout of Mystara Space
Month Index: September, 1995


From:     Ken Lipka <klipka@????.com>
Date:     Tue, 26 Sep 95 14:25:20 EDT
Subject:  Re: Psi in Space
Thomas replied with:
>
> > This is why the Psi can
> >only use the power to hold off one week's worth of whatever - that's how
> much
> >of a reserve the human body has.
> >In terms of air, because the body has slowed down the metabolism,
> the
> >slower consumption/more efficient use of oxygen follows naturally.
>
> Now you're contradicting your self. The discioline traps the bodies
> reserves, it doesn't slow down the metabolism. The bodies oxygen reserves
> only last a few minutes not a week. What you want to do is use the research
> rules in "The Will and The Way" to modify Suspended Antimation.
>
	No I'm not; I just didn't explain myself clear enough the first time.

	Yes, the basis of this power (Mind over Body) is that it slows the
metabolism of the body so its basic reserves can last a week.  You say I
contradict myself when I bring air into the equation.
Not so.  The reason why I don't is the fact that the body doesn't
store air - never has, never will.  That is why there is this process of
breathing.  We have to continuously process air.  Food can be stored as fat in
the body.  Lack of sleep can be overcome by stimulating various glands to
secret things like adreniline what have you.  But we have no air bladders to
store air for later.
	You might argue that the lungs are like that, but they just aren't
built that way.  Stomach and such takes in food, and eventually converts it to
fat to be stored (at least that which isn't used right away).  Air is
converted but used immediately - there is no where to store our "surplus" air
like we can store surplus calories.  Thus, the body either breathes slower, to
allow the blood to pull more O2 out of the lungs before it is ejected; or else
it just manages to open up more capillaries and such in the lungs so that more
O2 can pulled in the same amount of time as before.

	Ken Lipka
	klipka@????.com



Previous Message: Re: Psi in Space
Next Message: Re: Sphere layout of Mystara Space
Month Index: September, 1995

SubjectFromDate (UTC)
Psi in Space    Orion    26 Sep 1995 00:57:08
Re: Psi in Space    Thomas O. Magann Jr.    26 Sep 1995 01:12:52
Re: Psi in Space    Orion    26 Sep 1995 02:13:04
Re: Psi in Space    Thomas O. Magann Jr.    26 Sep 1995 02:38:25
Re: Psi in Space    Orion    26 Sep 1995 03:15:56
Re: Psi in Space    Thomas O. Magann Jr.    26 Sep 1995 03:22:56
Re: Psi in Space    Ken Lipka    26 Sep 1995 11:47:37
Re: Psi in Space    Thomas O. Magann Jr.    26 Sep 1995 11:59:49
Re: Psi in Space    Orion    26 Sep 1995 12:26:52
Re: Psi in Space    Ken Lipka    26 Sep 1995 14:14:30
Re: Psi in Space    Thomas O. Magann Jr.    26 Sep 1995 16:58:40
Psi in Space    Ken Lipka    26 Sep 1995 18:25:20

[ SPJ-L@Cornell.edu ] [ Spelljammer@Leicester.ac.uk ] [ Spelljammer@MPGN.com ] [ Spelljammer-L@Oracle.Wizards.com ]